While some may have expected a quiet week in Alberta wrestling due to the May Long Weekend, the past seven – well, eight – days were chock-full of news from the independent scene across the province. A new championship was announced, number one contenders were crowned, and a pair of first-time-ever matchups were announced. It was yet another banner week in Alberta pro wrestling; get the latest on the WCSN!
Of course, a quick shout-out to Jinder Mahal, who two years ago today (May 21) became the first Calgary-born wrestler to capture the WWE Championship since Bret Hart in 1997.
PWA Women’s Championship Announced; First Champion to be crowned at Night of Champions
- Saturday night was another stellar event from the Prairie Wrestling Alliance and with the promotion in the midst of the build to Night of Champions, many expected there were bound to be a few major announcements. In what was perhaps the biggest surprise of the night, PWA founder and CEO Kurt Sorochan announced that at N.O.C, Morgan and Sager would join two other women in fighting for the inaugural PWA Women’s Championship. While the third woman in the match is expected to be Kat Von Heez, there’s been no official confirmation of a fourth opponent.
IMPACT’s Raj Singh to challenge “The Aussie Legend” for RCW Canadian Heavyweight Championship
- Real Canadian Wrestling has announced that IMPACT Wrestling’s Raj Singh will face off with “The Aussie Legend” Dylan Knight at RCW Xtreme Measures this Friday in Calgary. It marks yet another major test for the fledgeling RCW Canadian Heavyweight Champion, who has already successfully defended his title against Heavy Metal of Top Talent since claiming the championship on April 5th. However, Singh is looking to claim his first championship in RCW, and the enforcer of the Desi Hit Squad looks poised to give Knight his toughest challenge yet.
Mitch Clarke vs. Nasty Nate Nixon announced for Lloydminster
- As announced in a Facebook post earlier this week, “Danger Zone” Mitch Clarke will face off with Nasty Nate Nixon at Monster Pro Wrestling’s debut in Lloydminster on Friday. It marks the first time the pair have faced off one-on-one. In recent months, Clarke has established himself as one of the top wrestlers in Alberta, winning both the MPW Tag Team Championships and becoming the co-winner of the prestigious Leo Burke Cup, both alongside Lumberjack Larry. Now, he looks to continue his momentum against one of the most cunning members of the MPW roster in the promotion’s debut in the Border City. Said Clarke on the matchup:
“Nasty Nate is a tough matchup just because he’s crafty, sneaky and when he’s falling behind he’s willing to cheat. I plan on beating him to the punch, both figuratively and literally, because violence is my art form and on May 24, Nasty Nate will be the canvas I paint my masterpiece on.”
“I’m going to treat Nasty Nate worse than he treats fashion.”
Blais vs. Chimera official for Bruderheim
- As announced on last week’s edition of Conversations With Love, Cody Chimera will face Michael Richard Blais at RCW Battleground in Bruderheim this Saturday. It’s yet another first-time-ever matchup for Blais, who in recent months has battled Pride, Chris Perish and Chimera’s Dirty, Inc stablemate Cameron Stevens for the first time. Both Blais and Chimera come into the matchup with momentum behind them; Blais was recently victorious in his tag team matchup against the Millennial Rebels at PWA Adrenalize, while the Chimera Era officially kicked off last month with the Dirty, Inc member’s victory over Simply Epic Eddie Rhude. Now, Chimera aims to make the strongest statement of his young career against one of the most highly respected members of the Alberta independent wrestling scene.
M.A.R.C to face off with Shabaz, Marky at Night of Champions
- Michael Allen Richard Clark’s opponents for his first defence of the PWA Championship are now official, as both Sheik Akbar Shabaz and The PWA Original Marky emerged as co-#1 contenders following PWA Adrenalize. The result was due to a 20-minute time limit draw between Shabaz and Marky at Saturday’s event, with commissioner Thaddeus Archer III making the decision to have both men face Clark at next month’s PWA Night of Champions. Both men will be looking to make a statement, with Shabaz looking to reclaim a championship that was lost under controversial circumstances and Marky getting his second opportunity at the championship that, in his words, was his sole reason for returning to the PWA. While Clark, surely, wasn’t expecting to defend against both men, it’s an excellent addition to an already stacked card for Night of Champions.
Prairie Wrestling Alliance Results
PWA Adrenalize • Edmonton, Alberta • May 18, 2019
- Kenny Stryker def. Brayden Parsons
- Maxton Flexwell def. Nightmare #2
- Kylie Morgan vs. Zoë Sager – No Contest
- The Titan def. “The Omen” Gabriel
- PWA Commonwealth Championship Match: Shaun Moore def. “Spaceman” Beri Grayson (2 falls to 1)
- The Western Lions (Michael Richard Blais/Brandon Van Danielson) def. The Millennial Rebels (Colton Kelly/Kenneth Anthony) – DQ
- Shiek Akbar Shabaz vs. The PWA Original Marky – Time Limit Draw
- With his victory, Kenny Stryker earned the right to select the stipulation in the PWA Tag Team Championship match at PWA Night of Champions. Stryker selected a tag team submission match.
- Morgan vs. Sager ended in a double roll-up.
- Following the Morgan/Sager match, PWA founder Kurt Sorochan announced that the PWA Women’s Championship would debut at PWA Night of Champions.
- Due to the Shabaz/Marky matchup reaching its 20-minute time limit, both men will face off with Michael Allen Richard Clark for the PWA Championship at Night of Champions.
Monster Pro Wrestling • MPW Lloydminster • Lloydminster, Alberta • May 24
Real Canadian Wrestling • Xtreme Measures • Calgary, Alberta • May 24
Real Canadian Wrestling • Battleground • Bruderheim, Alberta • May 25
- A Moment with Meniac: Episode 010 | Favourite Pods, Mrs. Meniac and More!
- A Legacy of Violence: The Evolution of Colton Kelly
- Conversations With Love 15: A Conversation with Cody Chimera
- Last Week in Alberta Wrestling: May 7 – 13, 2019
- Dirty, Inc: How Mike Jones Built an Alberta Wrestling Empire