Two days after the Smackdown Live roster came home empty handed at Money in the Bank, the blue brand returns to action tonight in Toledo, Ohio. On tonight’s June 19th edition, a five-man gauntlet match will main event, with the debut of SAniTy, Becky Lynch taking on Billie Kay and a returning James Ellsworth scheduled for tonight’s show as well.
As always, Spencer Love is here with your Smackdown Live preview!
- The Bludgeon Brothers retained their Smackdown Tag Team Championships against Gallows & Anderson
- Daniel Bryan def. Big Cass
- Bobby Lashley def. Sami Zayn
- Seth Rollins retained the Intercontinental Championship against Elias
- Alexa Bliss wins the women’s Money in the Bank ladder match
- Roman Reigns def. Jinder Mahal
- Carmella retained the Smackdown Women’s Championship against Asuka when James Ellsworth returned
- AJ Styles retained the WWE Championship against Shinsuke Nakamura
- Ronda Rousey def. Nia Jax via DQ
- Alexa Bliss def. Nia Jax after cashing in her Money in the Bank Briefcase to become RAW Women’s Champion
- Braun Strowman wins the men’s Money in the Bank ladder match
One Big Thought:
Lost in the announcement of tonight’s five man gauntlet match is the impending debut of SAniTy. The former NXT Tag Team Champions will be facing off against the Usos tonight, and I fully expect an excellent match. SAniTy has long been a highlight of NXT programming, and I’m excited to see how their unique gimmick will work on the main roster. Also of interest is the fact that Nikki Cross is still not being promoted as being called up with the group; could we see her debut tonight after losing at TakeOver: Chicago? I doubt it, but I still have hope dammit!
State of the Belts:
AJ Styles remains the WWE Champion after defeating Shinsuke Nakamura at Money in the Bank. Tonight, we’ll get a new challenger for the Phenomenal One as a five man gauntlet match will take place tonight to name the #1 contender to Styles’ belt. The five men participating – Big E, Samoa Joe, The Miz, Rusev and Daniel Bryan – should put on an absolute clinic; all of them are deserving of a championship opportunity, and it’s truly up in the air for me as to who will win. However, that doesn’t mean that whoever doesn’t win won’t benefit from being here; remember, Seth Rollins incredible run as of late kicked off with his hour-long run in RAW’s gauntlet match. Could we see a similar performance tonight? Early prediction – expect Bryan to kick it off.
Carmella made history on Sunday night, becoming the first woman to defeat both Charlotte Flair and Asuka. Sure, the victories came through dubious means, but does anyone ever remember that in the long run? Now, Carmella is set to move forward with the Smackdown Women’s Championship and a returning James Ellsworth in tow – but will the Empress of Tomorrow have anything to say? Methinks the answer is yes, and I’d guess she’ll show up to demand a rematch against the Princess of Staten Island.
The Bludgeon Brothers defeated Gallows & Anderson on Sunday to retain their Smackdown Tag Team Championships; with nothing advertised for tonight on WWE.com, I hope that they aren’t relegated to the background as they had been prior to this feud.
Yes, there is still a United States Championship. Jeff Hardy also still exists. That is about all that can be said about both the man and the belt, as they’ve been largely AWOL for the last number of weeks. With Money in the Bank complete, hopefully they’ll get some more screen time tonight.
Three Things to Watch For:
- What’s next for Shinsuke Nakamura? He’s now had multiple shots at the WWE Championship, with multiple champions able to retain against the King of Strong Style. He doesn’t really have a clear direction for a feud at the moment, either; could we potentially see him feud with Rusev in an official face turn for the Bulgarian Brute?
- Becky Lynch will take on Billie Kay of the IIconics. There is nothing else to note about this match.
- Still no sign of the Colons on Smackdown Live. We patiently wait.
WWE Last 5:
- Monday Night Hayden: Preview of the 18/06/18 RAW
- Money in the Bank: Match Card, Preview, and Predictions
- NXT TakeOver: Chicago Predictions
- Over the Top Rope: Episode XI | How Do You Fix the Tag Team Division?
- RAW Thoughts: Give Me a Curt Hawkins WrestleMania Win