NXT Preview – Ohno vs Ciampa
NXT finishes up their April 11th set of tapings tonight with a loaded card, headlined by Kassius Ohno vs Tommaso Ciampa. Will it be better then Backlash? Probably! But only one way to find out. As always, I’m @Parkman15Love, here with your official NXT Preview!
A recap of last weeks episode:
- Kairi Sane over Shazza Mckenzie, Lacey Evans attacks Sane afterwords
- TM61 over Street Profits with feet on the ropes
- “The Finest” Kona Reeves squashes some enhancement talent.
- Bianca Belair over Candace LeRae
- Pete Dunne over Roderick Strong by DQ when Undisputed Era interferes. Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan make the save, while Pete Dunne nails Roderick Strong with a shoe.
Note: Spoilers are available here on Win Column! Read at your own risk!
The Main Event
Two weeks ago, NXT featured a vicious beatdown of Johnny Gargano from mega-douche Tommaso Ciampa, right before his championship match with Aleister Black. Gargano was taken to a hosp.. I mean, local medical facility while Kassius Ohno watched. Kassius claimed last week that someone needs to make Ciampa feel how Johnny Gargano felt, and challenged Ciampa to a match.
Now, this should be a doozy. When NXT officials let Ohno work a little bit more stiff, he produces great matches – think him vs Gargano a few months back. Hopefully, that’s allowed tonight as Ciampa also thrives there. I still predict Ciampa to go over here, and I’ve predicted for a couple weeks now that Ciampa is the one to challenge Aleister Black in Chicago. Maybe not in a straight one-on-one match, but I do predict he’s a part of the match at least. Regardless, I will be tuning in for this.
EC3 makes his television debut for NXT this evening, taking on Raul Mendozza. After failing to win the inaugural NXT North American ladder match, I’m sure that Ethan Carter the third will continue his losing ways – especially against perennial main event talent Mendozza*. All I know is that I want more EC3 on my TV next set of tapings. He entertains me, and thus he should entertain you all!
*Disclaimer – sarcasm above. EC3 will not lose this match.*
After competing in the Greatest Royal Rumble match, Tucker Knight returns to NXT with his partner Otis Dozovic to take on the War Raiders. Hanson and Rowe have slid right into the role AOP had, and this author is completely cool with it. With a wider moveset and a better wrestling psychology then Akam and Rezar, War Raiders could do some serious damage. Also, I don’t really give a care about Heavy Machinery. You know who I’m cheering for!
Dakota Kai takes on Vanessa Bourne tonight, as the women’s division starts to take shape. Honestly, it amazes me how wrestling can tell the same underdog story and people do love it. Dakota Kai seems be the next underdog to come from NXT, following the footsteps of Sami Zayn, Johnny Gargano and Roman Reigns.
The “ah yessir” movement is in full effect!
Expect a win here for the leader of Team Kick, and potentially a push for a match with Shayna Baszler in the future.
And (going off spoilers), we will be hearing from Ricochet for the first time since stealing the show in New Orleans. I only hope that the brass at WWE know what they have here, and push him accordingly. This guy is amazing. And if rumors are to be believed, his first feud should be absolutely fantastic. Read about here!
The Championship Scene
As talked about, we’re starting to see the women’s division take shape – but Shayna Bazler still looks dominant atop the division. Who steps up to her in a month? My money is on Nikki Cross, but I wouldn’t complain about Kai or Belair either.
Kyle reflects my sadness.
As well, Undisputed Era seems to have the week off after a tough week. They were run off by Pete Dunne, Danny Burch andOney Lorcan. So, no North American Title or Tag Team Championships tonight. My biggest question now, is who takes on Undisputed Era at the next takeover? No SAnitY, no AOP, War Raiders just seems too soon, and Tyler Bate’s injury might put British Strong Style out of the question. Curious to see where they go with this.
Finally, Aleister Black looks even more dominant as champion after decimating the entirety of SAnitY last week. Black Mass has been built up as game over so far, and whos up next? I think triple threat between Gargano vs Ciampa vs Black may be in the cards down the line. Or, newfound single’s competitor Riddick Moss goes on the run of a lifetime.
- While not confirmed, it is expected that Keith Lee has signed with WWE – here’s to hoping for an appearance at Chicago!
- As well, will we see a women’s stable formed with news of more MMA women heading to WWE? Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir are officially in the Performance Center. Do we see them keep the belt on Baszler for a while? Or straight to a feud with the other 4 horsewomen?
- Seeing Tommaso Ciampa block WWE Network on twitter for wishing him a happy birthday was one of the best moments of the week.
Will you be tuning in tonight to watch? Or will you be partaking in the spoilers? Feel free to talk NXT, WWE or anything with us by tweeting us @WCSportsCA, or you can tweet me personally @Parkman15Love. Thanks for reading my NXT Preview, and we’ll see you next week!
WWE Last 5!
- Smackdown Live Preview: May 8
- Monday Night Hayden: Predictions for the 02/04/18 RAW
- Over the Top Rope: Episode V | The WrestleMania Extravaganza
- Unhappy Returns: Daniel Bryan Should Lose at WrestleMania
- Spoiler-Free NXT Preview and Predictions: March 28