The past seven days in Alberta saw one promotion headline the Saddledome, another crown three new champions, and a third announce the culmination of a blood feud in only their second show. Yet another confirmed that a current star of Impact Wrestling will be appearing at the end of the month.
Not caught up on all the action? Now you can be! It’s the latest edition of Last Week in Alberta Wrestling, your source for the most up-to-date information across the Albertan wrestling scene!
PWA Delights at Bret Hart Tribute Night in Calgary
Nearly 3,000 fans stuck around following Saturday’s Calgary Hitmen/Saskatoon Blades game for Battle at the Dome, a special wrestling event/fundraiser for the Calgary in benefit of the Prostate Cancer Centre of Calgary. The evening was also a tribute to legendary Calgarian and professional wrestler Bret Hart, with fans in attendance able to meet the Hitman in an exclusive meet-and-greet on the Saddledome concourse.
Following Calgary’s 3-2 loss to the Blades, the PWA ring was brought out onto the ice for a four-match event, including three title defences and a massive main event pitting the Western Lions & Sheik Shabaz against PWA Heavyweight Champion Michael Allen Richard Clark and the Millennial Rebels. Not only were fans treated to a title change in the PWA Tag Team Championship match, but an appearance by former Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan, who laid out both the Millennial Rebels and the PWA Champ in the evening’s main event to help solidify a win for the good guys.
“Last Saturday PWA made history by not only performing on the ice after the Calgary Hitmen game but erected the ring in 24 minutes including entrance which has way has never been done,” said Kurt Sorochan, the CEO of the Prairie Wrestling Alliance. “Not to mention doing it inside the historic Scotiabank Saddledome in front of 3,000 people that stayed out of the 4,500 that started the night.”
“What PWA accomplished tonight was simply incredible thanks to all our amazing talent (and) support staff – you epitomized tradition, passion and respect. Thank you to all the fantastic hockey/wrestling fans who made the night so memorable. Special thanks to Rob Kerr, Amy Bontorin and the entire Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club for all your hard work, dedication and passion a complete class act organization. To Bret “Hitman” Hart, it was an honour to pay tribute to you and thank you for putting in the time tonight with all the fans and selfless giving that benefited the Prostate Cancer Centre.”
“On behalf of everyone at PWA, we’re very grateful to be a part of such a fantastic, energetic and unique event and look forward to the possibility of doing it all again with an expanded BATTLE IN THE DOME 2.”
At press time, the total funds raised had eclipsed the $11,000 mark, though a final total won’t be known until the end of the week.
Force Pro Wrestling Confirms Another Match
Two long-time rivals are set to square off once again in Force Pro Wrestling.
Last week, Force Pro Wrestling confirmed that Colton Kelly and Aiden Adams would renew their rivalry at November 8th’s Force Pro Wrestling: Just the Tip event.
The announcement comes following an absolutely brutal encounter between Kelly and Adams at last month’s Force Pro Wrestling: The Prelude. That evening, Kelly defeated the Above Average Joes’ star by TKO following an insane senton through a table. However, though Kelly earned his victory, the lack of a pinfall or submission resulted in the rematch being booked – something that Aiden Adams is looking forward to.
“Dangerous and sadistic. Words that you, Spencer Love, have described Colton Kelly as,” said Adams to the WCSN. “I think it’s time I rewrite my strategy.”
“No DQ on November 8th? That’s fine. You’ll see the dangerous and sadistic side of Aiden Adams next time you see me in that ring.”
Tickets for Just the Tip are available through any of the Force Pro Wrestling social media channels or contacting any roster member.
New Champions Crowned in Monster Pro Wrestling
Last Saturday saw Monster Pro Wrestling host their signature event, Riptribution. Not only was the capacity crowd at the Alberta Avenue Community Hall treated to yet another stellar evening of professional wrestling, but three title changes throughout the night’s festivities. In fact, it was only MPW Heavyweight Champion Mitch Clarke who found himself leaving Riptribution with his championship still intact; unfortunately, the same can’t be said for Phoenix, the Rugged Future or Massive Damage himself.
Both the Rugged Future (Rich King/Kid Cyrus) and Massive Damage found themselves on the losing end of their respective matches, with High Octane claiming the tag team titles in a gauntlet match and Damage losing his championship in the annual Ripper Royal. Phoenix, unfortunately, was forced to relinquish her championship following the confirmation of a lengthy injury. In the subsequent women’s title match, Sexy Samantha came out as the victor over Taryn from Accounting.
Stay tuned to the WCSN for more from MPW Riptribution 12.
Cody Deaner Headed to RCW
As confirmed by Real Canadian Wrestling last weekend, Impact Wrestling star Cody Deaner will make a pair of appearances for the promotion on November 29th and 30th.
Deaner, a 19-year veteran in wrestling, has plied his trade all over the world for promotions such as TNA, Pro Wrestling Xtreme and his own promotion, Great Canadian Wrestling. Since rejoining Impact earlier last year, Deaner has faced the likes of Raj Singh and former Impact Heavyweight Champion Eli Drake.
Tickets for RCW’s next show are available on Showpass, or through any RCW star.
Prairie Wrestling Alliance Results
Fright Night • Edmonton, Alberta • November 2
- “The Thickness” Reid Matthews won the Mayhem Battle Royale
- PWA Tag Team Championship Match: The Above Average Joes def. The League
- PWA Women’s Championship Match: Zoë Sager def. Kat Von Heez, Kylie Morgan, Alix Zwicker
- The Wester Lions & Sheik Shabaz def. Michael Allen Richard Clark & The Millennial Rebels
Monster Pro Wrestling Results
Riptribution 12 • Edmonton, Alberta • November 2
- Nasty Nate Nixon def. Dangerous Danny Evans, Wildcard JJ Spade
- MPW Women’s Championship Match (2-out-of-3 Falls): Sexy Samantha def. Taryn from Accounting
- MPW Renegade Memorial Tag Team Championship Gauntlet Match: High Octane def. Rugged Future, Wrestling Royal-TY, Kannon Experience, Dad Bod Squad
- Mitch Clarke & Massive Damage vs. Lumberjack Larry Woods & The Cheetahbear Jude Dawkins – Double Disqualification
- Nasty Nate Nixon wins the Ripper Memorial Battle Royal
Real Canadian Wrestling Results
Fear Factor • Calgary, Alberta • November 1
- Maverick Jack def. Brice “The Slammer” Sova
- Headline Shaun Martens def. Keishi
- Tyson Hiller def. Bryn Watt
- KOTA def. Deryck Crosse
- Hard 2 Kill def. Viking Rage
- Giant Orion/The Canadian Goose/Aussie Legend def. Top Talent(Heavy Metal/Christian Strife/Big Jess Youngblood)
- Raj Singh def. Cody Chimera
Fear and Loathing in RCW • Edmonton, Alberta • November 2
- Son of Irish def. Headline Shaun Martens
- KOTA def. The Canadian Goose
- Sweet Daddy Soul def. Brice “The Slammer” Sova
- Giant Orion vs. Big Jesse Youngblood – No Contest
- Matt Hart/Steven Styles def. Viking Rage
- Heavy Metal def. Barricade to retain RCW Canadian title
Force Pro Wrestling • Just the Tip (18+) • Edmonton, Alberta • November 8
Pure Power Wrestling • November to Remember • Lethbridge, Alberta • November 9
Latest Wrestling Content:
- BREAKING: Trio of Champions Crowned at MPW Riptribution
- Conversations With Love 39: A Conversation With Mike Malowany
- Storm Grads, Former Alberta Stars Highlight PWI100
- BREAKING: Headline Shaun Martens Joins Real Canadian Wrestling
- BREAKING: Kelly, Adams Rematch Scheduled for FPW Just the Tip