It certainly wasn’t a slow news cycle for the Albertan independent wrestling scene last week, with a pair of shows taking place in Calgary over Friday and Saturday. In fact, it was the Hart’s that made headlines through the past seven days, but for wildly different reasons. That wasn’t all that took place, however, with the PWA making a pair of major announcements of their own over the past few days.
Not caught up on all the action? Now you can be! It’s the latest edition of Last Week in Alberta Wrestling, your source for the most up-to-date information across the Albertan wrestling scene!
Cam-Am Retro for Rhett
Let’s start with the positives, shall we?
Last Friday saw Real Canadian Wrestling host the Can-Am Retro for Rhett, an event held as a fundraiser towards a wheelchair-accessible van for Rhett Hart. The show also doubled as a tribute to Steve Gillespie, who tragically passed away last month at the age of 56. Not only were a number of past Albertan wrestling stars on hand for the evening, but
“The show was off-the-charts successful,” commented RCW promoter Steven Ewaschuk to the WCSN. “(We’re) already in the planning stage for an Edmonton retro event.”
By all accounts, the in-ring action delivered as expected on Friday night. However, it was the sheer amount of funds raised that truly stole the show on Friday. Overall, the promotion was able to raise over $4,000 towards Hart’s wheelchair-accessible van.
Spears, Luchasaurus Confirmed for PWA 19th Anniversary
The PWA is about to become more Elite.
Yesterday, the Prairie Wrestling Alliance made a pair of announcements regarding their upcoming 19th-Anniversary show. One will see the promotion’s Commonwealth Champion return for the first time since September 28th, with the other making his inaugural appearance in the PWA.
As announced by the promotion itself, both PWA Commonwealth Champion Shawn Spears and Luchasaurus would be heading to Edmonton for their scheduled event on March 28th at the NAIT Gymnasium.
Full stories are available below.
Blais Puts Career On the Line at PWA Fruition
One of Alberta’s brightest could be calling it a career; that is, if everything goes to plan for Thaddeus Archer III.
On February 22nd, Michael Richard Blais will put his career on the line in what’s being called the Archer Gauntlet. Throughout the course of the match, Blais will face off with Andy Anderson, Bobby Sharp and Davey O’Doyle as he not only attempts to keep his career alive, but earn an opportunity at main-eventing the PWA’s annual anniversary show at the NAIT Gymnasium.
Tickets for PWA Fruition are currently available through the promotion’s various social media channels, or Variant Edition Comics & Graphic Novels at 10132 151 Street in Edmonton. Advance tickets are also available through any of the PWA’s social media channels or contacting promoter Kurt Sorochan directly.
Teddy Hart Arrested
As first reported by PWInsider, former MLW star Teddy Hart was arrested on Tuesday evening in Richmond, Virginia, and is currently being held at the Richmond County Jail.
Currently, Hart is scheduled to appear in a Virginia court on April 23rd.
Real Canadian Wrestling Results
CanAm Retro for Rhett • Calgary, Alberta • February 7
- The Beast from the Middle East” Ali def. Scotley Crüe
- The Canadian Goose def. Keishi
- Tyrone Ironside def. D. Dwight Davis
- RCW British Commonwealth Championship Match: Matt Hart def. Dante, Dean Richtor, Screem
- Team RCW (Steven Styles, Jordon Aries, Kato, Tony Machete) def. Team Can/Am (Steve Rivers, Steve Wilde, Katana, Phil Frenzy)
- RCW Canadian Heavyweight Championship Match: Heavy Metal def. Brad Young
- Steve Gillespie Memorial Battle Royal: Vinnie Fever
Prairie Wrestling Alliance Results
Evolution • Edmonton, Alberta • February 8
- Kat Von Heez def. “The Universe” Nightmare #2
- Davey O’Doyle def. “Spaceman” Beri Grayson
- Brayden Parsons def. The Titan
- The Millennial Rebels (Colton Kelly/Mo Jabari) def. Thick Pride (“The Thickness” Reid Matthews/Jack Pride)
- Zoë Sager def. Taryn from Accounting
- The Western Lions (Michael Richard Blais/Brandon Van Danielson) def. Bodybreak (Michael Allen Richard Clark/Bobby Sharp) (DQ)
No wrestling this weekend ☹️
Latest Wrestling Content:
- Teddy Hart Arrested
- Wrestlesode: Episode 60 | PWA Evolution Recap & Reactions
- Conversations With Love 55: A Conversation With Gigi Rey
- Wrestlesode: Episode 59 | Interview with “The Thickness” Reid Matthews
- Conversations With Love 54: A Conversation With Davey O’Doyle